Organic ingredients are grown without using pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. USDA National Organic Program (NOP) verifies products with more than 95% organic ingredients. These are the four different organic labeling categories set by the USDA NOP for agricultural products and eligible cosmetics and personal care products: ‍ “100 percent organic”: The product must contain (excluding water and salt) only organically produced ingredients and may display the USDA Organic Seal. “Organic”: The product must contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients (excluding water and salt), with the remaining 5% of ingredients being nonagricultural substances approved on the National list or agricultural products that aren’t commercially available in organic form. These products may display the USDA Organic Seal. “Made with organic ingredients”: Products contain at least 70% organic ingredients (excluding water and salt), and the label can list up to three organic ingredients on the display panel. These products may not display the USDA Organic Seal. Less than 70% organic ingredients: Products cannot use the term “organic” on the principal display panel but can identify specific ingredients that are organic on the ingredients. These products may not display the USDA Organic Seal.

Back to Glossary