6 Sustainable Wineries to Stock Up Your Wine Cellar With
There’s nothing more soothing than a glass of wine after a long day. Bonus points if it’s sustainable wine. You might be asking, “How can wine be sustainable?” Well, it includes a lot of aspects of the winemaking process from farming to the facility condition.
Before we share our Sustainable Wineries list, let’s talk about what to look for when searching for sustainable wines.
- The winery has sustainability certifications such as: USDA Organic, ISO, Demeter Certified Biodynamic, Certified California Sustainable Vineyard and Winery, SIP Certified, etc. Learn more about which certifications to look for.
- The winery promotes biodiversity.
- The wine is organic. In order to be USDA Organic Certified, the grapes used in the wine must be organic and the wine-making process should also be organic (Well and Good).
- The winery takes a biodynamic farming approach, which goes a step further than organic farming and follows an astronomic calendar. According to Wine Enthusiast, “Each day coincides with one of the elements: earth, fire, air and water. Days are organized by fruit days (preferable for grape harvesting), root days (pruning), leaf days (watering) and flower days, where the vineyard should be untouched.” Learn more about the difference between organic and biodynamic wines.
- The winery has a sustainable winemaking process.
- The winery practices sustainable and transparent sourcing.
1. Cono Sur Vineyards
Instagram | @conosurvineyards
Certification | B Corporation, Carbon Neutral
As a Certified B Corp, Cono Sur Vineyards have over a decade of sustainable winemaking experience. Instead of conventional agriculture, the vineyards choose an integrated vineyard management system, which is using natural alternatives as fertilizers. Check out their sustainability report as well as delicious wines.
2. St. Supéry Estate Vineyards and Winery
Instagram | @stsupery
St. Supéry Estate Vineyards and Winery is Certified Napa Green and is one of the Napa Green Wineries. The vineyards have rooftop solar arrays that collect energy from the sun. Visit their website to learn more about their sustainability and philanthropic practices.
3. Benziger Family Winery
Instagram | @benzigerwinery
Located in the Sonoma Valley, Benziger Family Winery is proudly Certified Sustainable by Stellar Certification Services, Certified Organic, and Certified Biodynamic by Demeter. The winery’s winemaking facility is organic and practices sustainable farming.
4. Ferrari-Carano Winery
Instagram | @ferraricarano
Book an appointment at Ferrari-Carano Winery if you are visiting Sonoma County’s Dry Creek Valley. In 2015, they became a Certified California Sustainable Vineyard and puts efforts into preserving the environment through biodiversity conservation, solid waste management, monitoring and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions, etc. To learn more about Ferrari-Carano Winery’s sustainable practices, visit their Sustainability page.
5. Dutton Estate Winery
Instagram | @duttonestatewinery
As an active California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance member and Certified Fish-Friendly Farming, and Certified Sonoma Country Sustainable, Dutton Estate Winery recycles broken glass and corks for any upcycling opportunities, reduces erosion and soil loss to support biodiversity and improve water quality, and promotes healthy farming. The winery goes through annual self-evaluation and third-party audits for its sustainability practices.
6. Silver Oak
Instagram | @silveroakcellars
Silver Oak is a family-owned, multi-generational winery that takes a thoughtful approach to the winemaking process to produce better wines by doing right. Silver Oak flagship wineries in the Napa Valley and Alexander Valley are LEED Platinum Certified and are one of the Napa Green Wineries.
Now that you’ve learned about sustainable wines and what to look for, it’s time to get yourself a nice glass of sustainable wine. Relax, unwind, and be proud of yourself for making another contribution to sustainable living.
If you are interested in discovering more conscious brands, check out our Brand on Our Radar - ConsiderBeyond Directory, where you can discover sustainable brands from all over the world curated by ConsiderBeyond. Through the ConsiderBeyond App (IOS and Android), you can find local brands in your area or easily look for conscious brands during your travels! We actively aim to empower our Conscious Community members to keep learning more about conscious products and lifestyle tips through the ConsiderBeyond Newsletter where you can receive recommendations directly to your inbox twice a month!